by Karen Marquardt
This is a fantastic summer soup, that paired with some crusty bread and cheese makes a perfect no cook meal for a hot Texas summer. This cold garlicky tomato soup is easy, tasty and healthy. I like it paired with Brazos Valley Cheese’s smoked Gouda (available at area farmers markets).
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, chopped, seeded and divided
- 2 large tomatoes (or several small meaty roma tomatoes) chopped, seeded and divided.
- 1 large green pepper, chopped and divided
- 1 red pepper, chopped and divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped and divided
- 3 cups V8 or other vegetable juice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely minced or crushed
- dash of Tabasco or Sriracha
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
In a blender or food processor, puree half of all the vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, green and red peppers, onion). Reserve the remaining vegetables. Add the V8, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, Tobasco, salt and pepper. Blend again. Refrigerate covered for at least two hours. Just before serving, stir the reserved vegetables into the pureed mixture. Adjust salt and pepper.